choke. jook. chook. congee. porridge.

DSC_0866
Fish Congee with a Salted Turnip and Black Bean Relish

I have an affinity with Jook. Every time I make Jook it turns out perfect. Wait.. that means I have an affinity with steak, seafood, pasta.. oh uh.. nevermind. Anyways, I'm gonna reveal the technique for making fantastic Congee, ya know', Hong Kong style'(high pitch).

I make Choke on rainy cold days and days I have constipation, because I think it works. Some people think eating Chook will lead to fat loss, and when they eat a lot of Porridge, they become fatter.

DSC_0860

As you can see above, I added some CANTON power to my congee. You will find out more about it in the recipe list below. CANTON powah!!

The Recipe
DSC_0858
1. Caramelize shallots on low heat with vegetable oil. When golden and crisp, set aside and leave to cool.
2. Wash rice with water until water runs clear. In a saucepan, saute ginger and spring onions in oil(canton power), then turn off the heat for the oil to infuse. Cool for 15 mins. Add rice and coat with the ginger and spring onion oil. Leave to absorb. 15-30mins. Add 3 times the amount of water to rice and bring to boil. Simmer 20-30 mins until ready. Stir occasionally.
3. On a nonstick pan on medium heat, season cod fillets and sear them until white and flaky, about 3-4 mins a side. Remove fish from pan and set aside, flake into pieces when cooled. In the same pan, add a touch of oil and saute chopped garlic and salted turnips(chai poh). Add salted black beans and dried chili flakes. Add a little water and sugar. Add in caramelized shallots. Toss and set aside.
4. To serve, ladle the congee in a bowl, top with cod flakes and add salted turnip relish and spring onions.

0 comments:

Post a Comment